Plantation activities and production system operations to produce palm oil utilize significant energy. The energy sources used by the Company consist of new renewable energy and non-renewable energy.
Renewable energy sources:
- Utilization of palm shells & fibers for boiler fuel at the mill
- Partial utilization of palm shells as coal substitution in refinery
- Usage of biodiesel (B30) to reduce the usage of fossil fuels.
Non-renewable energy sources:
- Usage of electricity from the State Electricity Company (PLN)
- Usage of coal at Tanjung Sarana Lestari and Tanjung Bina Lestari refineries
- Usage of fossil fuels (diesel and gasoline)
In general, the energy mix consumed by Astra Agro shows that most (> 90%) of the energy consumption comes from renewable energy. The Company continues to increase the usage of new renewable energy consistently.